Re: Meaning of PROCESSES parameter on NT

From: Chris Leonard <s_p_a_m_chris_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 13:55:55 -0500

Don't know about semaphore specifics, but yes, Oracle uses threads on NT / 2000 / XP in a way similar to its use of threads in Unix / Linux, and I *believe* that the PROCESSES parameter will limit the number of those threads. To test this, you could set a low value for PROCESSES on a dedicated-server Windows box and then try to max out the threads by opening connections. You could also use a tool such as pviewer, perfmon, or even the Task Manager to monitor how many threads are in use by the Oracle process. I'd do this myself but I don't have a "Winoracle" box available - I've got plenty of Oracle boxes, and plenty of Windows boxes, but not any running both. Let me know if you are able to verify this.

--
Cheers,
Chris

Chris Leonard, The Database Guy