Re: User licensing

From: buckeye234 <member13594_at_dbforums.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 20:19:09 +0000

Originally posted by Gc
> I need to license an oracle system.
>
> If i select * from v$session and get
>
> 15 connections belonging to my users
> 6 connections belonging to a username of null
> 1 as system
> 1 dbsnmp
>
> do I need 15 lics or 23
>
> + if I'm hosting for 2 other companies on this server
>
> Do I need to pay the 20% hosting fee once or twice
>
> Thanks
>
> GC

To get the most correct answer, you should talk to your Oracle rep. If you have a standing contract with Oracle, that will dictate your licensing requirements. If you are going with named user licensing, the standard is to license every user that can connect to the database. It is NOT a concurrent user license.

Additionally, if the same person connects multiple times, they only need to be licensed once. For instance, we have power users that connect through an application and sometimes open another connection through TOAD to query the database to see the data outside the app. Therefore, at any given time, they can have two connections, but only require one named user license.

HTH,
Patrick