Re: Boss is asking for 'root cause analysis'

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 14:06:01 -0500

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 18:37:56 GMT, "Kenneth A Kauffman" <kkauffman_at_nospam.headfog.com> wrote:

>"Ed Stevens" <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 15:29:20 +0100, "Niall Litchfield"
>> <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk> wrote:
>>
>> >Unless you have some sort of performance monitoring data, I suspect that
>> >finding the root cause will be impossible.
>> >
>> >If you have , say, statspack or ultbstat/utlestat reports covering the
>> >relevant period, or explain plans for the problem queries before and
>after
>> >it will be pretty difficult to see what was going on.
>> >
>> >I'd strongly suspect the dataload causing the access plans to become
>> >inappropriate but without seeing the access plans it is pretty well
>> >impossible to tell.
>> >
>> >The other question to ask is wether the reporting tools/queries had been
>> >changed/upgraded in anyway.
>>

>> Niall,
>>
>> Thanks for the reply. You add weight to what I already suspected.
>> From my end, I assume that I don't know what it is that I don't know,
>> so am always looking for confirmation or refutation. This whole app
>> has been a severly underfunded disaster waiting to happen.
>>

>ISBN: 007222360X
>Oracle9i High-Performance Tuning with STATSPACK
>
>Fairly decent book and also explains how to automate capturing statistics on
>a scheduled basis, including system resources.
>
>ken k

Oracle 8.0 -- statspack not available until 8.1. (Well, I understand there is a kludge backport of statspack). Utlbstat/estat *is* available, but doesn't help much *after* the fact.

It just occurred to me that I *could* at least run an explain both with and without the STAR_TRANSFORMATION_ENABLED parm. That would probably shed *some* light on *one* aspect of the problem. But I know that when the mgrs start asking for root cause analysis, they want to identify the *exact* problem and a firm preventative measure. Received on Wed Apr 30 2003 - 14:06:01 CDT