Re: Confidential data

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 21:01:19 +0100

"Kenneth A Kauffman" <kkauffman_at_nospam.headfog.com> wrote in message news:RRTra.76792$xB4.1884326_at_news2.east.cox.net...

> "Thierry" <gbx33_at_yahoo.fr> wrote in message
> >

> > I agree with most of these posts about lack of trust against DBA ... and
> > problems which could occur.
> > .. I'm the DBA - not manager - and I have to do a study about data
> security ...
> > these datas are financial datas concerning our managers (salary for
> example) and
> > for multiple reasons, I suppose they don't want I know how many money
they
> win
> > (money is a sensitive subject in French Companies).
> > On the other hand, I'm also in charge of electronic mails of the company
> ... and
> > I've a non-disclosure agreement (but money is not concerning in this
case)
> > and if i would want, I could read contents of mailboxes !!!
> > So, I don't think it's a question of lack ... just a 'French taboo' ;-)
> >
> > Some people in this thread spoke about data encryption. I don't know
> > DBMS_OBFUSCATION_TOOLKIT package (and its use), but I suppose that a
> person must
> > have 'maximum priviliges' to encrypt/decrypt data ? Could this person be
> an end-
> > user ?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Thierry
> > --
> > Ce message a ete poste via la plateforme Web club-Internet.fr
> > This message has been posted by the Web platform club-Internet.fr
> >
> > http://forums.club-internet.fr/
>
> Ah... french "taboos" around management money. I think its funny they
want
> the DBA to scramble the numbers. You might be best suited to drop a zero
or
> two in the process and have an audit done. Oopsy... :)
>
> Evil Regards :)
>
> ken k

My 2c:

Either trust your DBA or fire him. He can *always* unravel/fix/restore/recover what's in your database; which is why you hired him in the first place.

In any case, 99% of the time the developers will require read-only access too, else they will say: 'How can I support you if you won't let me see your data?'

And in this case I agree with their point of view entirely.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Apr 30 2003 - 15:01:19 CDT