Re: Oracle Client Side Port Number

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 16:59:27 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:57:47 +0200, "Marcin Buchwald"
> <velvet_at_agora.pl> wrote:
>

>>I have client installation on citrix meta-frame.
>>For security reasons only a few ports can by opened on this machine.
>>
>>I tried opening 1521 - no success
>>Client side port seems to have dynamic number allocated by OS.
>>
>>What I need is to force oracle client to use fixed port number or
>>small range of numbers. Is it possible?
>>
>>Thank in advance,
>>
>>       Marcin
>>

> Search for 'use_shared_sockets' in your doco, or use connection
> manager
> (depending on platform and version, which you don't include)
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

IF platform=Windows (Citrix, bound to be...) AND version=8.1.7, THEN there's a nice bug preventing use_shared_socket...

Tell'm to open some ports, and run MTS for these. Or get hold of a SQL*Net-aware firewall, which will dynamically "open" the ports, as long as it is SQL*Net traffic thru these ports.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel