Re: Listener

From: Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 07:40:43 -0500

On Wed, 30 Apr 2003 04:20:48 GMT, Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

<snip>

>You can have one listener for many instances. Listener listens directly
>for calls to the ports described in it (and in tnsnames.ora file).
>
>> Thanks

Well, depending on how one reads that statement. Listener *does* listen on the ports described in listener.ora. It does *not* inherently listen on the ports described in tnsnames.ora. It doesn't even look at tnsnames.ora. However, if you want it to work, those two files will agree on what ports are being used. Listener listens on whatever port is described in listener.ora. Client calls on whatever port is described in tnsnames.ora. They have to be the same for it to work.

Which you probably already knew and understood, but as I read it, I could see where a newbie reading this might not pick up on that distinction. There are a lot of posts here from people who don't yet understand that Listener.ora is for listeners on servers, tnsnames.ora is for clients. Even if the client is on the same machine as the db. Received on Wed Apr 30 2003 - 07:40:43 CDT