Re: How to tune for "too many" users ?

From: Stephan Bressler <stephan.bressler_at_siemens.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 12:20:15 +0200

> Seems like something changed just over the last 4-6 weeks, but the last
> parameter change was 4 months ago.
> > - optimizer mode = choose.
> parameter is set to choose, and we use optimizer hints.
>
> > Did you generate statistics on tables / indexes?
> Yes, last_analyzed just 3 weeks ago.

Getting worse the last 4-6 weeks, last_analyzed 3 weeks ago? And you got expensive statements?!
Well, seems to be the optimizer, which looks at data volume and distribution and so on. So at some time, limits like for selectivity are crossed and totally different (sometimes much better, sometimes much worse) plans are choosen, thus killing the database. And everybody tells you "we didn't touch anything", which is the truth.
I'm no friend of up-to-date statistics any more. I've seen to much trouble. My opinion is to keep stats as they are (even if 1 year old) as long as the performance is ok. If not, then go for new stats.

Regards
Stephan
BTW: As Sybrand wrote, it's always the application. You can get the biggest gain by far by tuning the application compared to tuning some oracle parameters, etc. So go for the sqls. Received on Wed Apr 30 2003 - 05:20:15 CDT