Re: Listener

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 22:30:37 +0200

Singh wrote:
> I want to setup multiple instances on Oracle9.2 database on my Windows
> system.
>
> Do I have to add a listener per instance ??

No - you configure your listener to listen for incoming traffic, designated for whatever instance.

> My understanding is that one listener can listen for multiple
> instances and that I can add the databases for which it listens
> through the net manager.

Correct

> Can someone help me understand this a bit.

A listener is a broker. "Hey, an incoming call. Who's it for then? Ah, the ORCL instance. ORCL - are you there? I've got a call for you - please communicate on port 21998. Client, please communicate on port 21998" And off it goes, listening for new calls.

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel