Re: Oracle 8i OPS question

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:16:31 GMT

OPS (and 9i's equivalent - RAC) need a clustering infrastructure. Either Sun Clusters or VCS are required for your environment.

Is there a reason for staying with 8i? If you want a clustered Oracle environment, you really need to go to 9i. Here are some of the reasons:

  1. If you are serious about HA, you want vendor support. 8i will be desupported at the end of this calendar year.
  2. OPS may need applications to be "OPS aware" so some re-write may be required.
  3. IMHO, OPS is a bear to install. Plan on specialized consulting.
  4. OPS needs DBA who understands OPS concepts in depth. A lot more DBAs are training up for RAC than OPS.
  5. If a third party app, it probably is not supported/certified under OPS. The way RAC is built, certification on RAC is generally not needed.

/Hans