Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:44:53 GMT

Now this is more like it ... a real flame!

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au said...
> Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:<MPG.191701b35d952fc898975b_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net>...
>
> > I'm sorry, but I must be missing something here.
>
> You definitely are...

Yeah, and my hearing is getting worse ... and I need my bifocals to read this. Of course, I have to use the large icons on the toolbar of my newsreader.

> > Why are GUI users
> > equated with unskilled, rank amateurs?
>

> Who said they were?

Well, I kinda got the feeling that everyone was.

> > Why is something that makes my
> > job easier a bad thing?
>
> Who said it made your job easier? Ah, the vendor
> of the GUI tool... Of course!

Actually, yes. As a matter of fact, they did say that in the ads. But you know what? I agree with them.

<snipped rest of the comments about the vendor telling me so>

> > And in many cases, using a GUI does allow a DBA to do some tasks in half
> > the time.
>
> Prove it. Or are you trying to tell me that
> an "alter tablespace add datafile" runs faster
> if it is started by a GUI?

Uh, no, I'm not trying to tell you that. The command, once it reaches Oracle, doesn't run any faster or slower based on what tool I used on the client side. But a GUI tool does help me - admittedly, only sometimes - diagnose a problem quicker or see what needs to be fixed more easily.

Just a couple of examples -- there's the nice graphic in OEM that shows the percent of tablespaces used (much easier to get a quick overview than looking at the actual numbers in a command-line query against the data dictionary). There are all those graphs in the OEM Performance Pack that give, in my opinion, a clearer picture of the "health" of various portions of the database.

But there are times when the GUI gets in my way. I never use the Net8 Assistant. Much quicker for me to jump into tnsnames.ora with vi and copy/paste. And I don't know how anyone ever used the Oracle Terminal GUI to setup vt220 character-mode terminal emulators.

> > This idea that "real men don't use GUIs" is an old myth.
>
> Oh, I've been in touch with my feminine side for
> a looooong time! :)

Cool!

--
/Karsten