Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 16:27:32 GMT

Comments embedded...

joel-garry_at_home.com said...
> The problem is, management too often does not want to pay for
> experience if they don't have to, and the GUI's allow them not to - to
> a point. So you wind up with unemployed or underemployed experienced
> people, and places that don't have experienced people when they need
> them for a brief fix.

<snip>
I think the current desire on the part of management to pay less for employees is only marginally based on the fact that GUIs exist. Yes, I know a number of DBAs who can't find a job because they're "overqualified." And most of them don't use a GUI.

I've mentioned before that the company where I work hired me, in part, because they got my experience very cheaply (I work for a lot less than others with less experience will accept). I do sometimes use a GUI. Is there a lesson in there?

> > And in many cases, using a GUI does allow a DBA to do some tasks in half
> > the time. If there's a GUI tool that helps me do my job, I use it. If
> > there isn't a GUI tool available, then I do it the old-fashioned way.
>
> But it requires experience to know the limits. When crunch time comes
> and help becomes hindrance...
>
> Ever see grants and privileges get propagated so that everyone has
> everything?

Oh, absolutely! Give everybody DBA privileges and the DBA can go on vacation. :) But again, is this caused by a GUI or a lazy DBA?

> > This idea that "real men don't use GUIs" is an old myth.
>
> There's gotta be a "real old men" joke in there somewhere! :-)
Even if there isn't, I laughed.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA