System tablespace growing

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 10:36:29 +0100

Hi Nathan,

in addition to the advice you have been offered so far, add this one, when creating users always specify 'quota 0 on system'.

This stops imports creating objects in the SYSTEM tablespace when it cannot create them in (a) the specified tablespace or (b) the users default tablespace. Until I started restricting quota on system, I had a few problems with imports creating objects in my SYSTEM tablespace - where I didn't want them.

You will find your SYSTEM tablespace getting bigger if users, tables, indexes, constraints, sequences, views, procedures, packages etc etc etc are created because the data dictionary is held in user SYS and SYS has its default tablespace set to SYSTEM - as it should.

Cheers,
Norm.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator