how to use OCI program access remote oracle db?

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 09:25:19 +0100

Morning Xie,

all OCI programs which need to connect to a remote database must have Oracle Client software installed and configured on the client pc's that the OCI program is going to be run on.The Linux installer, if I remember correctly will allow you to install only the client software.

Once you get it installed, you will need to configure it so that it is able to find the remote server and its database. I'm pretty certain that the command you need is 'netca' to help you configure your networking details (tnsnames.ora etc).

To test that all is working, run sqlplus on each cleint and make sure that you can connect to the correct database on the remote server. If SQLPlus cannot connect, it is unlikely that your OCI programs will either.

Cheers,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar
Database/Unix administrator