Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 22:54:14 -0700

Jim Kennedy wrote:

> <snip for brevity>
> > Is MS Windows taking over Linux and Unix? People say MS Windows will
> > continue to do better and better technologically, overtaking Unix,
> > therefore graphical interface will be more important.
> >

> It has nothing to do with a GUI. Unix has a GUI also. You are discussing
> what people use as a desktop OS not a server - two different things. Highly
> irrelevant. A GUI does not make up for lack of competence in a field. Good
> DBA's know about the architecture, are excellent problem solvers and all of
> that has nothing to do with a GUI. The job goes far beyond creating a table
> or an index.
> Jim

And by way of adding proof to the pudding. Today I was consulting at a company where the "DBA" claimed 5 years experience and was managing mulitple Oracle databases using the latest tools from BMC.

Size of the shared pool? 15MB
Number of records that could be updated before running out of rollback space? less than 75K
Passwords for default Oracle schemas unchanged Need it go on?

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)