Re: how to use OCI program access remote oracle db?

From: Ken Wallis <kenws_at_devnulldotempowerdotaust.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 14:37:36 +1000

Xie Haifeng wrote:
> Hi,everyone
> I have wrote a little program with OCI to operator local oracle db,
> and it done well.
> but now I want to run this program on another machine which have no
> oracle installed. I want to use it to access remote oracle db. I have
> copied the lib that program required to another machine(include
> oracle lib). And it can run but only get "Error while trying to
> retrieve text for error ORA-12545". Does there are some extra set?
> Or I must install oracle on another
> machine? and after install does there are somethings to set?
> The two machine are all Turbo Linux, and oracle is oracle 8.1.7.0

You need the client Oracle pieces installed and configured on any machine that your OCI program will run on. Usually the Oracle installer offers you the option to install only the client tools - there is certainly no need to install the whole server software.

By the way, this is a thread ideally suited to comp.databases.oracle.tools as I understand the charter of that group and this one. OCI is considered a tool for connecting to Oracle rather than an intrinsic part of the server, but of course that isn't quite right AFAIK.

Best Regards,

Ken Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 23:37:36 CDT