Oracle server partitioning strategy

From: 10Squared <news_at_firewallinabox.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 15:06:22 -0400

Hello All,

I would like to set up a Sun V880 with 6 * 72 GB drives to maximize database performance. The database will be Oracle 9i. The system has 8 GB of memory and 4 * 900 MHz CPUs. It is a development server and will also host multiple Weblogic 8.1 server instances. My first inclination is to install the OS, swap, Oracle and Weblogic binaries on the first two drives (RAID 0+1), then distribute the database files (data files, indexes, temp files, etc.) across the remaining 4 disks. Is there a better setup for this configuration where the database will be making large numbers of very complicated joins? Also, in order to make sure I get specific parts of the database on separate spindles, but allow for failover, is it possible and advisable to mirror at the partition level with Solaris 9, e.g. each drive with a data partition and a mirror partition (of a different drive of course). Thank you for your time.

Cheers,

Jim Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 14:06:22 CDT