Re: Vertias Backup Exec Oracle Agent

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 15:44:15 -0700

"Silmar" <silmar_at_talex.pl> wrote in message news:<b8ir5e$8vl$1_at_nemesis.news.tpi.pl>...
> Hi,
>
> is there anyone backing up Oracle DB using Backup Exec 9.0?
>
> Regards
> Silmar

Yes, but not using their agent.
We perform (conventional) hot backups and full exports daily (lots of free space when you have 36 GB drives) - so there is no real need at this point for a Veritas Oracle Agent.

We're not using RMAN in production yet, but there may be reasons for their agents for RMAN to plug into.

You can download a 60 day trial copy from their site.

Strange how a network backup did not want to run as a service account, but ran fine when configured as "LocalSystem" once the local group "ORA_OPER" was granted to the local group "SYSTEM". I would have preferred that "LocalSystem" would have had no permissions on the oracle datafiles - and only be able to access the backup staging areas, but then no "cold" backups could be executed for disaster recovery purposes. So in their case, "LocalSystem" can read/execute/list those files, but in no way, shape or form, can it modify, write, change, or especially LOCK any active oracle files.

You do not want your backup software to be able to lock a controlfile. You will know in a big hurry when that happens.

hth,

Paul Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 17:44:15 CDT