Re: forms90 and characterset

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 23:25:28 +0200

Herr Otto Partz wrote:
> Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>

>> There isn't, as the characterset of the database is incorrect.
>> European diacritical characters all have the 8th bit set.
>> You need to change the characterset of the database to we8iso8859p15
>> or mswin1252 by using the alter database characterset command.
>> IIRC the default for all platforms is nowadays 8 bits, it is strange
>> you managed to create a database in US7ASCII, you must have explicitly
>> set that on creation.

> That's right, Sybrand, I created the database in US7ASCII because I had
> to import data from a previous US7ASCII database where diacritical
> characters were stored that way. By accepting the default I would have
> lost all diacritical characters.

You gave the obvious solution in your other post... Just change the characterset envrionment, so that the network layer will not perform a conversion during the import. Assuming you diacritical characters were in the export (which I still find hard to believe) you could have created any 8-bit database, and imported without conversion, after setting the environment variable nls_lang to the orginal value (American_America.US7ASCII)

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel