Re: Oracle Security Patches for Solaris and W2K

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 11:24:29 -0700

drak0nian_at_yahoo.com (Paul Drake) wrote in message news:<1ac7c7b3.0304190735.5d7e27c1_at_posting.google.com>...
> Kalle <kminerva_at_jippii.fi> wrote in message news:<3EA0F419.D677286C_at_jippii.fi>...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I am planning to upgrade my oracle environment with latest security
> > patches and I have following environment:
> >
> > Sun Solaris with 8.1.7.4
> > - what are the patches I should run that my environment is with the
> > latest security pathces
> > Sun Solaris with 9.2.0.3.0
> > - what are the patches I should run that my environment is with the
> > latest security pathces
> >
> > Windows2000 with 8.1.7.4
> > - what are the patches I should run that my environment is with the
> > latest security pathces
> > Windows2000 with 9.2.0.3.0
> >
> > TIA
> >
> > Kalle
>
> In general, this is a good place to start, metalink not required:
> http://otn.oracle.com/deploy/security/alerts.htm
>
> The readme file included with each patchset list the fixes included in
> the patchset. Just because a patchset is released, it does not imply
> that you *must* apply it.
>
> Personally, I would seriously investigate (test in your test
> environment) the 8.1.7.4.10 patchset for win32. Fixes for multiple
> security alerts are included, as well as the problem with exp/imp.
> These are all noted in the readme.txt
>
> for 9.2.0.3.x - please read the platform support notices - there is a
> patch available for OUI that you need to apply before applying the
> 9.2.0.3 patchset.
>
> Log into metalink - such notices typically appear in the "Headlines"
> area.
> check under "Alerts".
>
> hth,
>
> Paul

I would like to re-iterate that you should not apply one-off patchsets to production systems without thorough testing. I'm getting numerous space leaks (ORA-00600 [729]) after applying this patchset to a test system that was running 8.1.7.4.6 without errors. I'm tempted to punt this and just migrate to 9.2 now, rather than later.

Errors that I've encoutered with this patchset 8.1.7.4.10 are particularly troubing, as fixes for security alerts 48-52 are contained in it, plus a fix for exp/imp.

Paul Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 13:24:29 CDT