How to update a column to its default value?

From: kielhd <kielhd_at_freenet.de>
Date: 28 Apr 2003 07:22:12 -0700

Hi,
I am looking into this problem for a while without solving it. HELP!!!!!!!!!! The following table is defined:

CREATE TABLE DEFAULT_TABLE(

TEXT            varchar2(32),
LAST_UPDATE     date default sysdate

);

After setting an initial value to the column TEXT with the command

insert into DEFAULT_TABLE ( TEXT ) values ( 'John' )

the table looks like:

select text, to_char(last_update, 'dd-mon-yyyy hh24:mi:ss') from DEFAULT_TABLE

TEXT                             TO_CHAR(LAST_UPDATE,

-------------------------------- --------------------
John 28-apr-2003 15:53:01

Here is my Problem:

I need to update the row, where the column TEXT equals the value 'John' to the value 'George'. I expect the value in the column LAST_UPDATE to change automatically to the current value of SYSDATE.

Here is what I did:

update DEFAULT_TABLE set TEXT = 'George' where TEXT = 'John';

Afterwards, the table looks like this:

select text, to_char(last_update, 'dd-mon-yyyy hh24:mi:ss') from DEFAULT_TABLE;

TEXT                             TO_CHAR(LAST_UPDATE,

George 28-apr-2003 15:53:01

The value of the column TEXT has changed as expected, but the value of LAST_UPDATE remained the same.
I want the value of the column LAST_UPDATE to change when I update the column TEXT.

Hope there is some help to this problem!

Regards from rainy Germany
Henning Received on Mon Apr 28 2003 - 09:22:12 CDT