Re: forms90 and characterset

From: Herr Otto Partz <cris119_at_operamail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 10:15:59 +0200

Frank wrote:

> Did you mean bit 8 (not bit 7) would be the MSB?
> But as there's no 'room' for it (US7ASCII), it get's
> dropped, set to 0. You cannot store characters with
> the 8th bit set in a US7ASCII database.

Sure you can. If you set the client charset to US7ASCII the Net8 (Net9?) protocol does not perform conversion and the diacritical characters are stored unchanged into the database.

This is a test from the Linux shell:

me_at_mywks:~> export NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII me_at_mywks:~> sqlplus un/pwd

SQL*Plus: Release 9.0.1.0.0 - Production on Mon Apr 28 10:12:23 2003

(c) Copyright 2001 Oracle Corporation. All rights reserved.

Connected to:
Oracle9i Enterprise Edition Release 9.0.1.3.0 - Production With the Partitioning option
JServer Release 9.0.1.3.0 - Production

SQL> desc x

  C                                                  VARCHAR2(10)

SQL> insert into x values('атища') ;

1 row created.

SQL> select * from x ;

атища

SQL>

--
Cris aka H8P
"Ubi solitudidem faciunt, pacem appellant"