Re: How to install Oracle 9.2 on RedHat 9.0?

From: Dave Hau <davehau-no-spam-123_at_no-spam.netscape.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 20:15:15 -0700

"Nick Keeman" <nkeeman_at_linuxmail.org> wrote in message news:3EAC4D46.5070708_at_linuxmail.org...
> Thanx Dave,
>
> I actually like RH90 because of the improved Mozilla, screensavers and
> my "xmms" finally works without problems. So far it didn't let me down
> once.
>
> As I understand from your reply I understand its difficult to install
> Oracle on a non certified release. So it was in the past and then they

Not that it's difficult to install, but you'll be constantly worried that it might not work quite right, since you're linking to a glibc that's not supported and known to have some significant incompatibility with previous versions.

> always found some workarounds. In my case I actually only need the
> SQL-Plus and OEM client to work which might work fine, would it?
>
> Would you reckon its worth a try installing the client software and skip
> installation of the 9.2.0.3 patch.

Well, even though my database is not working very well, the client portion works quite well, e.g. I've been able to use oemapp and sqlplus to connect to the local database and to other servers with no problem at all. So it's definitely worth a try if you're going for just the client. Just remember to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1 and it should work fine.

Cheers,
Dave

> Nick
>

> Dave Hau wrote:
> > "Nick Keeman" <nkeeman_at_linuxmail.org> wrote in message
> >
> >>Hi Guru's,
> >>
> >>I've got Oracle 9.2 running on RedHat 8.0 but would like to move to
> >>RedHat 9.0. I've heard it doesn't work as the new kernel uses a new way
> >>of Processing causing Oracle 9.2 no have problems.
>

> >>Any work arounds yet??
> >>
> >>Nick.
> >

> > My advice is: don't. I set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1 and successfully
> > installed Oracle 9.2.0.1 on RH9 (except for an error on oemagent which I
> > clicked Ignore.) Went through DBCA to configure the database. It was
> > working fine until I applied the 9.2.0.3 patch. After running
catpatch.sql
> > and utlrp.sql, now PL/SQL is now totally broken. I suspect even if this
> > didn't happen, further down the road, I'll run into similar problems
also.
> > It seems the glibc 2.3.2 used in RH9 has some major incompatibility with
> > previous glibc versions. Unless you hack the glibc source code and
> > recompile, you have a constant risk of the Oracle server not working
quite
> > right.
> >
> > So, save yourself some headache. Why run Oracle 9.2 on RH9 anyways?
The