Re: Advise with Oracle data warehouse

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 13:38:20 -0700

NorwoodThree wrote:

> You're suggesting not running a Production Oracle data warehouse in
> archivelog mode? Are you partially or completely incompetent? My
> guess is completely.
>
> Run the data warehouse in archivelog mode. Its production for Christ
> sake.

Insults included ... I completely disagree with you. The point of a data warehouse is to support querying and reporting.

If you have no transactions exactly what is it you expect to generate in those redo logs that will be archived, that will be worth the price of a latte' if the whole thing blows up?

Turn off archiving. Truncate all tables. Reload all data. Why take the performance hit?

If transactions are taking place then it isn't a data warehouse.

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)