Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:47:24 GMT

"Geomancer" <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf90fb89.0304251215.1c893af8_at_posting.google.com...
> Has anyone noticed that the Oracle GUI tools and wizards are making it
> far too easy to be an Oracle DBA?
>
> Just for fun, I asked my 9-year-old daughter to install Oracle9i on a
> PC, and she was successful without a word of assistance from me. (BTW,
> she though it was "real boring")
>
> Anyhow, I hear that the next OEM is going to be so easy that even an
> MSCE will be able to do Oracle DBA work, and I'm worried.
>
> How will us Oracle DBAs be able to justify our salaries once Oracle
> becomes as easy to use as MS-Access?

one other point. Ease of use allows you to concentrate on the business logic. Programming today is MUCH easier than in 1960. Back then you had to worry about every bit of space since storage was so small and programming languages were like writing math. Now that the languages are easier, has the demand dropped. NO, what you are seeing are far more advanced applications and simulations. Why? Because you can concentrate on implementation rather then low level programming. Received on Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:47:24 CDT