Re: Are Oracle GUIs causing a decline in DBA salaries?

From: Ryan <rgaffuri_at_cox.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2003 18:45:36 GMT

"Geomancer" <pharfromhome_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:cf90fb89.0304251215.1c893af8_at_posting.google.com...
> Has anyone noticed that the Oracle GUI tools and wizards are making it
> far too easy to be an Oracle DBA?
>
> Just for fun, I asked my 9-year-old daughter to install Oracle9i on a
> PC, and she was successful without a word of assistance from me. (BTW,
> she though it was "real boring")
>
> Anyhow, I hear that the next OEM is going to be so easy that even an
> MSCE will be able to do Oracle DBA work, and I'm worried.
>
> How will us Oracle DBAs be able to justify our salaries once Oracle
> becomes as easy to use as MS-Access?

salaries are down because the IT market in general is horrible and there demand is in the toilet. Its not the GUIs. Its the market.

Oracle as easy to use as Access? its not about ease of use, its what you are doing with it. You really think that if Oracle was as easy to use as Access, it still would take alot of effort to build and maintain the Amazon.com's database? Or The Social Security Agencies data warehouses? Its what you are trying to do.

The thing is that if you have something simple that you can run in Access you would have to be a fool to pay for Oracle in the first place. Why would you? You dont need it.

Its the market. There are too many applicants for every job. It could pick up a little in the next 2 years, problem is that there was so much over-demand in the 1990s, you have a ton of Oracle people out there. Received on Sun Apr 27 2003 - 13:45:36 CDT