Re: exit in sql script

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 27 Apr 2003 18:27:10 +1000

 news> Always a good idea to put an exit. I might not be hanging when  news> called from the cron.

 news> Anurag

 news> "Sunil" <sunil_franklin_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message  news> news:Wc3qa.26$B95.383_at_news.oracle.com...
>> Gurus, I have a sqlscript without an exit at the end which I call
>> from a csh file. I expect the csh script to hang because of the
>> missing exit, but

 news> this
>> behaviour is erratic. i.e. sometimes it hangs while sometimes it
>> goes through fine. Any ideas why I may be seeing this behaviour.
>>
>> Thanks,

  1. First thing you should do is replace the csh based script with either ksh/pksh or sh/bash. The csh shell was really only designed to provide a more user friendly interactive shell and is not a good choice for non-interactive applications like shell scripts.
  2. Rather than just sticking in an exit statement, I would first try to find out why it appears to hang or fail to exit - there will be a reason and its better to address the cause.
  3. For the best advice, I'd suggest posting your shell script and possible the sql script that is called. This will give us all the chance to possibly look at it and maybe identify what the problem is and possible alternative solutions.

Tim

--
Tim Cross