Re: forms90 and characterset

From: Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 19:55:05 +0200

Sybrand Bakker wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:18:14 +0200, Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Sybrand Bakker wrote:

>>>There isn't, as the characterset of the database is incorrect.
>>>European diacritical characters all have the 8th bit set.
>>>You need to change the characterset of the database to we8iso8859p15
>>>or mswin1252 by using the alter database characterset command.
>>>IIRC the default for all platforms is nowadays 8 bits, it is strange
>>>you managed to create a database in US7ASCII, you must have explicitly
>>>set that on creation.
>>>

>>>Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>>
>>>To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>>
>>That was my first reaction, too. But how to explain the OP's claim
>>that "italian" characters display correctly using a browser (could
>>be escaped...) or Access?
>

> When both client and server are 7 bit, bit 7 (the MSB) will pass
> through unchecked. The trouble starts when you re-import the data,
> because at that time characterset conversion is performed.
>

> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

Did you mean bit 8 (not bit 7) would be the MSB? But as there's no 'room' for it (US7ASCII), it get's dropped, set to 0. You cannot store characters with the 8th bit set in a US7ASCII database.

And those diacritical characters have bit 8 set, so how did the OP get them in there?

--
Regards, Frank van Bortel