Re: Log File Oracle 8

From: Anton Buijs <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 16:10:15 +0200

Tahir001 <tahir001_at_aol.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 20030426080902.02755.00000099_at_mb-m13.aol.com...

| Hi,
|
| I am new to Oracle, at my work we are using Oracle 8. on NT! where would i
find
| the daily logfiles for Oracle? Or can someone tell me how to find errors
on a
| daily basis.
|
| Thanks in Advance
|
| Tahir

On Windows the database writes messages about startup,shutdown, important commands and errors and problems in the file <sid>ALRT.LOG. Background processes and user processes write trace files when errors occur. By default this is in directory %ORACLE_HOME%\rdbms\trace. When that directory does not exists, it writes to %ORACLE_HOME%\database. You should check these files regulary, specially when problems arise.

You can change it by setting the init.ora parameters, for example: - background_dump_dest = X:\oracle\admin\<sid>\bdump (for the alert log and background traces)
- user_dump_dest=X:\oracle\admin<sid>\udump (for user processes trace files)
In this example I used the OFA directory naming, Oracle Flexible Architecture. I think it is described in the Installation Guide or search for it on otn.oracle.com or tahiti.oracle.com (where all documentation can be found online).
(This is for 8.1.7, please always specify platform and version in your posts in the future.) Received on Sat Apr 26 2003 - 09:10:15 CDT