Re: Oracle Trousers 1.0

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 25 Apr 2003 15:17:32 -0700

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote in message news:<E2F6A70FE45242488C865C3BC1245DA703994970_at_lnewton.leeds.lfs.co.uk>...
> Morning PharFromHome,
>
> you wrote :
>
> >> Hmmm, you must be British.
> I am, well Scottish, which is part of what most Americans call 'England'
> - winds us Jocks up no end so it does :o)

Jock? That is an americanism for both athlete and athletic supporter (a personal undergarment).

"Like a big plate of steaming haggis!" - San Diego radio promotion for a lunch time show.

> Daniel, on the other hand, is American - he enjoyed it too.
>
> >> Perhaps it is "Brilliant" in the same sense as "Monty Python", which
> >> to many in the USA comes off as "silly".
> Bear in mind when Monty Python (short o) was originally released it was
> 'radically different' to anything else on offer. As for 'silly', maybe
> that's because there are no 'canned laughs' to tell you when to laugh
> :o)

I still think "Milkman Psychiatrist" was the best one.

> I have to admit that M*A*S*H was, and still is, one of the funniest
> programs to come out of the USA, but we originally got a version with
> canned laughter on it and it was abysmal. The BBC ran the version
> without canned laughs after that - much better.

That was a good show, but funniest? Well, to each his own. I thought it was a bit bizarre to see a detective from Dragnet older in the Korean War.

> I suppose it all depend on your sense on humour/humor - you've got
> George W Bush and we've got Tony Blair.
>

> Cheers,
> Norm. (Tongue firmly in cheek !)

Who's cheek? Are you on first? Say, weren't you on Cheers?

I still think "Milkman Psychiatrist" was the best one.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
It's deja vu all over again.