Re: RHAS vs. SLES

From: Leach <leach_at_none.invalid>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 18:57:39 GMT

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, Kenneth A Kauffman <kkauffman_at_nospam.headfog.com> wrote:
> Has anyone done comparisons of RedHat Advanced Server and Suse Linux
> Enterprise Server (or United Linux)? I'm interested in actual experiences
> with installation, overall administration and performance of related
> systems.

I recently chose SLES over RHAS, but part of that is that I've used SuSE Pro for years. I am a lot more familiar with SuSE, so keep that in mind. Hopefully you'll get some pro-RHAS opinions to balance it out.

Having said that, I do think RHAS is badly out of date. SLES8/UL1.0 is a very fresh release, and very solid.

A few points:
- RH seems to have stayed with relatively older kernels, and deal with bugs and driver updates based from there. SLES tends to keep up with the new stock kernels, plus SuSE modifications. RH is a more conservative approach, but the downside is that you have to find and add drivers for newer hardware during the installation.

The RH admin tools seemed more haphazard. I would have likely just ignored them and edited the files directly, after learning the RH ways of doing things like network initialization.

(RHAS doesn't have LVM, and isn't friendly to you using it in their kernel.)

--

Leach