Re: Using an index.

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:07:27 +0100

Notes inline

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd
____Denmark__May 21-23rd
____Sweden___June
____Finland__September
____Norway___September

Three-day seminar:
see http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/seminar.html
____UK_(Manchester)_May x 2
____Estonia___June (provisional)
____Australia_June (provisional)
____USA_(CA, TX)_August

The Co-operative Oracle Users' FAQ

"Mikito Harakiri" <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com> wrote in message

> > The result:
> >
> > I configured the system so that Oracle
> > CHOSE (i.e. without hints) to do a tablescan
> > of 1,500,000 rows instead of using the
> > primary key index.
> >

> That's entirely depends what you meant by "configuring the system".
> assume it's not something like creating stored outline, or having
stale or
> manually "adjusted" statistics telling that there are 0 rows in the
table
> rendering the matter to trivial.

No - didn't do that.

> It's interesting to see how could you achieve your goal other than
setting
> ridiculous values for the parameters involved.

Got it in one - but which ones ?