Re: forms90 and characterset

From: Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 00:05:33 +0200

On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:18:14 +0200, Frank <fvanbortel_at_netscape.net> wrote:

>Sybrand Bakker wrote:
>> On Thu, 24 Apr 2003 15:30:30 +0200, Herr Otto Partz
>> <cris119_at_operamail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>Hello, I'm testing Forms 9.0.2 against a 9.0.1.3 database (platform:
>>>SuSE SLES7).
>>>The database was created with US7ASCII characterset.
>>>Until now I looked up at my data using MS Access and a browser (through
>>>9iAS and the PL/SQL Web Toolkit): in both environments Italian
>>>characters (טאשל) appeared perfectly when setting the client environment
>>>variable NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.US7ASCII.
>>>Now I'm not able to force Italian characters to appear in Forms. I tried
>>> several NLS_LANG settings with no results.
>>>Do you know a trick to do that?
>>>
>>>Thanks in advance. Kind regards,
>>

>> There isn't, as the characterset of the database is incorrect.
>> European diacritical characters all have the 8th bit set.
>> You need to change the characterset of the database to we8iso8859p15
>> or mswin1252 by using the alter database characterset command.
>> IIRC the default for all platforms is nowadays 8 bits, it is strange
>> you managed to create a database in US7ASCII, you must have explicitly
>> set that on creation.
>>

>> Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>> To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address
>
>That was my first reaction, too. But how to explain the OP's claim
>that "italian" characters display correctly using a browser (could
>be escaped...) or Access?

When both client and server are 7 bit, bit 7 (the MSB) will pass through unchecked. The trouble starts when you re-import the data, because at that time characterset conversion is performed.

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Apr 24 2003 - 17:05:33 CDT