Update and conversion of large databases for products like SAP or Peoplesoft

From: Steve Mitchell <stevem_at_hdcsi.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 21:46:30 GMT

I have questions about the strategies that are used to update commercial systems based on Oracle. I have never been exposed to SAP, Peoplesoft, Oracle financials, etc, which is why I'm asking for help here.

I am curious about the strategies used to update the customer's database when there is already considerable (say) PL/SQL code, triggers, and tables populated with data. Is it as simple as sending the customer SQL scripts that include only the information required to update schema, and running PL/SQL code to convert data?

Or is it common to export customer data, install "clean" databases, and import customer data again (possibly with some conversion involved).

Given these (or other) strategies, are there particular design patterns you've seen in these updates that make the process more robust, reliable, etc? What are some of the pitfalls? What about 24/7 installations?

Thanks for any comments/pointers.

--steve

Famous Software, LLC Received on Thu Apr 24 2003 - 16:46:30 CDT