Re: Am I Screwed?

From: Alex Filonov <afilonov_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 12:10:22 -0700

Mark <m_sparky_at_eudoramail.com> wrote in message news:<UlEpa.880$RT6.393550961_at_twister1.starband.net>...
> Niall Litchfield wrote:
> > <important caveat>
> > backup the database now whilst it is down so you can do no further harm.
> > </important caveat>
> >
> > I suggest that you do the following at a command prompt comments prefaced
> > by ---
> >
> > net start oracleservice<name> --- start the service
> > set oracle_sid=<your sid name> --- set the environment up
> > sqlplus /nolog --- start sqlplus without logging in
> > connect sys/<password> as sysdba --- connect as the privileged user
> > startup --- try to start manually.
> >
> > My guess is that you will get an error along the lines of 'file n needs
> > media recovery' in which case you need to apply redo from the redo logs.
> > This is done by typing 'recover database;' Most likely this will be all you
> > need and you can then type 'alter database open;' and all will be fine. If
> > this is not the error you get or you are prompted for logs you do not have
> > then most likely you will need to recreate and import (assuming you don't
> > have all logs since the last good backup). Do let us know what happens.
> >

> > --
> > Niall Litchfield
> > Oracle DBA
> > Audit Commission UK
> > Please include version and platform
> > and SQL where applicable
> > It makes life easier and increases the
> > likelihood of a good answer
> >

> Now I wish I had not been so fast as to delete all the files and just
> recreate the db. Then I imported my backup. The backup was actually
> from around 3:00pm, so it was not all that much data entry, and they had
> to have the system back up as quick as possible. But thanks so much for
> all your help. I like to get every bit of information I can. I feel
> that communicating like this is much more usefull than Oracle's
> overwhelming amount of information.
>
> But before we close this post, can you tell me some basic scripts that
> need to run regularly? e.g. 'alter database backup controlfile to
> trace;'? I just created the DB using the gui, so probably I need to
> change some settings as well.
>
> My plan is to do a nightly backup using exp, and then an hourly exp that
> will be overwritten to prevent them from loosing that much data.

If you run it in archivelog mode, hourly backups are not needed. But you need regular backups (hot or cold) and, of course, you need to backup controlfile during your backup procedure. It's better to have both backup controlfile
and
backup controlfile to trace
statements there. Although, if you don't change file structure much, you don't need to do backup controlfile to trace often.