Re: 20000 INSERTs per second?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 17:00:40 GMT

JZ wrote:

> Oracle 9.2.0.3 enterprise for Solaris 2.8
> I like to know whethere it's possible to accomplish 20000 INSERTs (through
> JDBC drive, not pure INSERT SQL) per second on Oracle 9.2.0.3.
> If so, should we go with RAC or high end storage (to improve disk I/O)?
> Any docs about this or any suggestions to improve INSERTation rate
> through JDBC driver?
> Can 64bit environment improve this?
> Thanks a lot!

More details please on your environment ... including the following app questions

- is this sustained rate or peak?
- if peak, how bursty/cyclic?
- record size, indexing mechanisms, archiving plan, partitionability?

If this is sustained, you certainly need to look at the entire architecture. A quick calculation: 20,000 recs/sec - assuming 128 bytes (1/8KB) per record, means that you handle 2.4MB/sec, 146MB/minute, 8.8GB/hour or 205GB/day raw. For thumbnail work, I generally estimate 2.5x the raw amount for actual tx & nominal indexing.

Some questions you need to look at:

- backup strategy?
- how long do you need to keep data?
- if sustained, what $ impact does downtime have?
- can your disk subsystem handle that traaffic sustained?
- can your network handle the incoming?
- what are you going to do with the data after you have it stored?
- do you need indexes?
- can you leverage partitioning?

/Hans Received on Thu Apr 24 2003 - 12:00:40 CDT