how to purge archive log records from the controlfile?

From: Holger Marzen <holger_at_marzen.de>
Date: 24 Apr 2003 16:15:56 GMT

Oracle 8.1.7 on Solaris 7

Because the operation system can expand the controlfiles, they grow and grow and have old records with archive log backups and database backups. I tried to do some maintenance with

  rman nocatalog <<EOF
  connect target
  allocate channel for delete type disk;

  crosscheck     backup of controlfile completed before 'SYSDATE-60';
  delete expired backup of controlfile completed before 'SYSDATE-60';
  crosscheck     backup of database    completed before 'SYSDATE-60';
  delete expired backup of database    completed before 'SYSDATE-60';
  crosscheck     backup of archivelog  until time       'SYSDATE-60';
  delete expired backup of archivelog  until time       'SYSDATE-60';
  release channel;

but as far as I understand the records are only marked as deleted. The controlfiles have still the same number of records, as Oracletool shows (e.g. 6MB for "Archived log").

How can I shrink the files and purge the records? Rman's doc mentions prgrmanc.sql, but this is described to work with a recovery catalog.

Any ideas? Received on Thu Apr 24 2003 - 11:15:56 CDT