Re: Please help data management issues!!

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2003 00:06:11 -0700

Keith wrote:

> I am at the end of the rope with dealing with Oracle's obscene(my opinion)
> pricing. I cannot compete with using Oracle any longer. The salespeople are
> absolute slugs and greedy(my opinion). I have switched over to PostgreSql
> where possible on the Sql server side. It works very well. .Org domain
> lookups are hosted on PostgreSQL. My biggest problem is replacing the Oracle
> Developer 2K front end. Can anyone please suggest a replacement for this -
> something that comes close to providing such a functionality .. as in
> developing database forms applications. I am looking for GUI and Unix unix
> character-mode deployment. At this point I will entertainment anything. HTML
> is not an option.
>
> www.gnuenterprise.org comes very close but they are far from completion. It
> would be nice to provide them with some financial (and other) asssistance.
>
> Thanks for any help!!

You have choices to make. You can use Oracle's products, pay a few bucks to Larry to keep his boat afloat and have security, scalability, performance, and stability.

Or you can invest a huge number of hours to duplicate that which comes out of the box and have little chance of duplicating all of the above criteria. Choice is yours.

But if anyone was giving away what Larry is selling ... and all things were equal ... Larry would be unemployed. So I don't think that is the case. Or that we are in any danger of it becoming the case anytime soon.

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)