Re: Am I Screwed?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 18:56:04 +0100

<important>
Before doing anything and while the db is closed make a backup, so that you can always get back to where you are now. </important>

as you talk about services I'm guessing you are on windows. In this case you should try the following at a command prompt, comments prefaced with ---

net start oracleservice<name> --- to start the service set oracle_sid=<your_sid>
sqlplus /nolog --- start sqlplus but don't log in now in sqlplus connect internal -- or connect sys/password as sysdba startup

you will then get an error, which will most likely be along the lines of "file x needs media recovery", If you get this error then you need to apply redo from your redo logfiles which you can do by typing 'recover database;' If you get another error or you are unsure then post what you see here.

cheers

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA