Procedure to install oracle 9i on Redhat 9

From: Wufeng Zhou <wfzhou_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 Apr 2003 14:28:46 -0700

Tore Skogly <tore.skogly_at_c2i.net> wrote in message news:<1050414477.27473_at_gurney>...

> > Me too! BTW, thanks Howard for your earlier post with the step-by-step
> > on getting Ora 9i on RH8. It really helped!
> >

> Well, basically I installed it to prove that 9i can be run on RH 9.
> I prefer running it on RH8 too...
> I don't run Enterprise Manager on the server where the database is
> installed, but manage the database by using Tora - or by using Enterprise
> Manager from my Windows XP laptop over my local network.

For anyone who wants to try, here is how I install Oracle 9i 9.2.0.1 on Redhat 9. Before you start, you should have read one of the instructions for installing Oracle 9i on Redhat 7/8, such as: http://www.ibiblio.org/gferg/ldp/Oracle-9i-RH8-HOWTO/ or http://www.puschitz.com/InstallingOracle9i.shtml

  1. Install Sun's JDK 1.4.1_02
  2. Run the following commands, your path to runInstaller may vary: export LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4.9; /mnt/cdrom/runInstaller
  3. During linking phase, following the above mentioned articles to fix the error in ins_ctx.mk, but ignore the error on ins-oemagent.mk because I can't find solution to it, I don't use Enterprise manager anyway.
  4. Before creating database, do the following: cd ${JDK1.4HOME}/bin ln -s java jre cd $ORACLE_HOME rm JRE ln -s ${JDK1.4HOME} JRE If DB creation started before you do this, you can always do the above and then run dbca. In fact, there are still scripts in $ORACLE_HOME/bin that references jre with -nojit and -native option that are not supported by JDK 1.4. You can fix them by writing a script in ${JDK1.4HOME}/bin and name it as jre (instead of sym link as above) to filter out those unsupported options.
  5. To auto start database instance and listerner, do the folowing: edit /etc/oratab so that the instance you want to start ends with Y edit dbstart and dbshut script in $ORACLE_HOME/bin to either ignore the PFILE checking or let the PFILE points to PFILE=${ORACLE_HOME}/dbs/spfile${ORACLE_SID}.ora

Hope this helps.

Wufeng Received on Wed Apr 23 2003 - 16:28:46 CDT