Re: VARRAYS for VLDB

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:59:11 +0100

Mixing VARRAYs with heavy duty processing doesn't sound like a good idea.

It depends very much on exactly how you want to use the data, but your best bet could be a range-partitioned IOT, partitioned by time,  with compressed primary key - and a materialized view, with the same partitioning and on a prebuilt table, for the summary figures.

The order of the columns in the IOT PK will be dictated by the nature of the most important queries.

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 22nd
____USA_(FL)_May 2nd