Re: rollback segs in locally managed tablespace

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 13:40:05 +0800

Norman Dunbar wrote:

> Hi Richard,
>
> one thing bothers me about this. LMT's default to unlimited maxextents -
> I can live with that.
> However, if I (or the OP) create an RBS in an LMT, I get a MAXEXTENTS of
> 32,765 which is not quite unlimited :o)
>
> Now, I know why this has to be the case - there is/was/might still be a
> bug where problems occur when an RBS is allowed to go over 32,766 (or
> 32,767) extents causing all sorts of mayhem on the database. I know,
> because I hit it !
>
> My rambling point being that someone *is* paying attention to maxextents
> in LMTs but only for RBS.
>
> Cheers,
> Norm.
>
> PS. Not a problem with 9i and redo tablespaces though :o)
>
> -------------------------------------
> Norman Dunbar
> Database/Unix administrator
> Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.
> mailto:Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
> Tel: 0113 289 6265
> Fax: 0113 289 3146
> Hi Sven,
>
> <SNIP>
> >> The inability to set a maxextents limit and that any
> >> value you set gets ignored with unlimited being the only possible
> value.
> <SNIP>

Similarly worth nothing that on some 8i's (possibly fixed in 8174) its wise to have a non-lmt rollback segment left offline somewhere. There was a bug where you could not recover a database when all rollback segs were in an lmt.

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"