Re: Verdict on RMAN?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 03:22:11 GMT

Jake wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In 2000 and 2001 (via Google archives) there were some lengthy threads about
> RMAN, and it seemed the jury was undecided. I'm wondering which way (if
> any) the news group regulars (and non regulars) have leaned? Scripts or
> RMAN? RMAN with a Catalog or without?
>
> I'm comfortable with scripts (and played with early RMAN, and was left
> wanting). But the product is 3+ years old and is (probably) better.

Possibly urban ledgend: predecessor to RMAN was Enterprise Backup Utility (EBU), which was bundled with the later Oracle 7's. With Oracle8, they decided to enhance and change the name to Recovery Manager. The story was - "who really cares about the backup? ... it's really only there to support the recovery! Anyone can create a [reliable] backup, but RMAN was designed to take the next step & assist with recovery." IMHO, RMAN is a lot more than 3 years old because it includes all the lessons learned in EBU.

My favorite discussion at client sites starts with "You do a wonderful job backing up your systems and databases. How have the practise trial recoveries been working?" Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:22:11 CDT