Re: Would you recommend having multiple instances on the same box?

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 03:03:24 GMT

Paul Brewer wrote:

> Where in this thread was it suggested otherwise? Surely this discussion is
> about the advisability or otherwise of hosting multiple instances on one
> box. Of course there are issues, but in the real world we all have to do it;
> and with multiple Oracle versions too; at least on development/test boxes.

At least once a week I hear someone make a statement that demonstrates they do not fully appreciate the distinction between Instance and Database. Since there is considerable confusion about the definition of Instance, Database and Application, (Schema, Owner and User as well), I believe the qualification is acceptable, albeit [potentially] redundant. - Don't fret it <g>

/Hans Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 22:03:24 CDT