Re: Oracle screws up Sun host

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 16:12:48 +0200

Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote:

>HP-UX 64 bit, Oracle 8170 and/or 8172 64 bit, HPUX 11.00 : processes
>started 'running away' and eating up 100% cpu on one of 4 processors.
>Kill that process and everything worked fine again, for a bit. Then
>another, seemingly random, process would hit the 100% and we go back
>around the loop. Eventually, one of Oracle's own background processes
>would take the hit and at that point Oracle would have to be shutdown.
>The solution was to upgrade to 8174 as there was a problem in 64 bit
>HPUX runing 64 bit Oracle. This solved the problems we were having.

EXACTLY that has been my experience for the last six months or so (when heavy work has been done in our DB). Some processes take one CPU that will be kept 100% busy indefinitely (no Oracle Session ID involved), unless one kills it at the OS level. But at some time, one has to restart the DB to clean up things.

Nice to see that someone is having the same experience, otherwise these perfect RDBMS Admins around here would eat me.

If updating to 8.1.7.4 (we use 8.1.7.3) is easy, I may try it. The problem is, that we are planning to update (migrate?) to 9.2.0 on July 2003.

>Shutdown immediate may appear to hang because any uncommitted
>transactions have to be rolled back, so if there is one that is hal an
>hour into it's processing, then that half hour of work needs to be
>rolled back and could tak another half hour to do so.

When I used the "shutdown immediate" last time, the DB was closed, there was no activity aside from the remaining ARC processes consuming some CPU time. I was sure that nothing was being rolled back.

>Ok, I've never had to kill the server to fix an Oracle problem. However,
>I have found that even after a shutdown abort, some oracle processes
>were still running. Kill -9 sorted them out. Usually, I've found that
>these can be detected by starting the database to get told that 'oracle
>is still running, shut it down first'. Shutdown tells me that 'instance
>is not running' - so I go off looking for any oracle process associuated
>with that instance, and kill them. Then the startup works fine :o)

Yes, I have had this case too. That is easy. BUT: At times there is a process caught in I/O, you can't kill it. Then you *have* to restart the host (the last time I had this case it was due to hardware failure).

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 09:12:48 CDT