Re: Oracle screws up Sun host

From: Pete's <empete2000_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Apr 2003 06:40:20 -0700

When you issued your shutdown immediate, think about what's going on? It's rolling back active transactions in database. The amount of time the rollback takes may be the same amount of time the "runaway processes" have been running. So, you need to be patient, or, issue a shutdown abort, startup restrict, shutdown immediate again. However, by doing this, you will still essentially be rolling back transactions and may take a while.

The reason for having to "kick the box" since you are killing processes at the command line, is probably due to the memory segments not being cleaned up. Check out metalinks, this will tell you how to clean up memory segments. You may not think Oracle Support is the best, could it be better, yes. Most of the time, you'll be getting someone who can help you work the problem or find someone that can.

HTH,
Pete's

The opinions I may have expressed here are solely my own and not that of my employer. Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 08:40:20 CDT