Re: Oracle screws up Sun host

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:58:15 +0200

"Anton Buijs" <remove_aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>You can't connect to the Sun box? Or because svrmgr connect internal does
>not work? That would be very strange

What I meant is that I can't connect to the instance anymore. The host itself "seems" to be healthy otherwise.

>You mention in another reply that you don't want to use shutdown abort. I
>use it all the time but in a special way. Before db backup we do shutdown
>abort, startup restrict and shutdown immediate. Shutdown immediate can hang
>(when a system call of a session does not finish for some reason), causing
>the backup to fail, and we don't want that to happen. (this will give some
>reactions).

I understand your reasons. Have you considered the possibility of getting corrupted blocks because of a violent kill to the DBWR process? Corrupted blocks are a nightmare. You may not notice them immediate. What could be done beforehand to avoid possible corruption after "shutdown abort"? The only possibility I can think of is issuing the "alter system checkpoint" command immediately prior to the shutdown. But That won't be a garantee either. *Something* will change in the DB between these two commands.

>| >Why do you conclude "the host is screwed up" and needs a reboot?
>|
>| I have found some hints fixing metaphore problems and the like, but
>| they only work save if there is only one instance in the host.

I am at home now and don't have the exact info at hands. The situation I described seems to be the one addressed in this document. Some OS commands have to be used (as root) to manipulate memory structures.

It is somehow stimulating to read that other people "never had to restart a Unix host because of Oracle problems", but I think they make a mistake by deducing that "there can't be such problems, since I never had them".

>You mean semaphores are not removed? And you can't see which are belonging
>to the other instance?
>Thought that was your problem. Can't test or help here, don't have a Sun box
>at hand.

I will post more info later.

>It's an online utility, not obvious to find: click "Top tech docs" in the
>menu bar on the left. Choose "Database". Under "Oracle Internals" you find
>"Oracle Internal Errors". Then "Getting Started" and finally: "Ora-600
>lookup" Copy/paste the stack trace from the trace file in that window and
>you will find quickly if your problem is known.

That is a promissing support feature. No people involved that will let you wait forever or will come up with stupid questions trying to find a reason *not* to have to give you support. Sorry to say that. But if it makes you feel better, I am not saying that Oracle support is bad. I would say that every company we deal with behaves the same way. My experience with Oracle is very limited, so I will give it another try.

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 06:58:15 CDT