Re: Oracle screws up Sun host

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 13:58:17 +0200

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> wrote:

>So you will be stuck with your ora-600's. You definitely should
>reconsider.

The applications involved were developed by a third party, are huge PL/SQL packages which run jobs lasting hours or days. The last contract to this company, which consisted on an optimization of the previous one (!), took seven months to be implemented. At the beginning of the test phase, a fast Windows PC was used as a test server. At times, it was virtually blown up by the application (blue screen and unusuable DB, which had then to be completely recreated).

So we moved to another Linux based server (RedHat Advanced Server 2.1) as a test platform. The ORAs occured now "faster". Due to impelling business constraints, the application was transfered to the production environment (not my decision) as soon as it seemed to run through all data (no quality control involved). I don't think it will be ever possible to debug it so as to avoid these ORA-00600.

I am just the poor admin and has no clue about what the application does (besides lots of full table scans, that is). I think that the purpose of engaging to clear those ORA-00600 under these circumstances does not promise any success.

But it would be a nice exercise, I admit.

Thanks
Rick Denoire Received on Tue Apr 22 2003 - 06:58:17 CDT