Re: hints and tips for sizing oracle parameters

From: Daniel Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2003 23:09:09 -0700

dbuckingham wrote:

> Wondering if anyone can point me towards any information resources on
> the internet regarding tips and techniques for sizing Oracle parameters.
>
> Also interested in any information regarding non standard parameters
> that can be tunned to offer better performance.
>
> I realise this is a bit of an open question, but not being an
> experienced DBA I do not necessarily know what to look for regarding how
> certain parameters should be sized or finding areas of potential
> improvements with the init.ora file.
>
> Am hoping that there are some resources on the net that I have not been
> able to locate that may steer me in the right direction.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --

http://tahiti.oracle.com
http://otn.oracle.com
http://docs.oracle.com

But given your caveat I doubt these will be extremely helpful. My suggestion would be to not modify any parameters unless you have the ability to benchmark before and after to determine whether you have helped or hurt the system.

--
Daniel Morgan
(remove one 'x' from my email address to reply)