Re: Verdict on RMAN?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 09:30:16 +0800

Jake wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In 2000 and 2001 (via Google archives) there were some lengthy threads about
> RMAN, and it seemed the jury was undecided. I'm wondering which way (if
> any) the news group regulars (and non regulars) have leaned? Scripts or
> RMAN? RMAN with a Catalog or without?
>
> I'm comfortable with scripts (and played with early RMAN, and was left
> wanting). But the product is 3+ years old and is (probably) better.
>
> Feedback is greatly appreciated
>
> Thanks Jake

I think the balance is tipped in favour of Rman, mainly because of the increasing number of features that are becoming rman-only. In most cases (eg tablespace point in time recovery) you can do them without using rman, but the offical support may be lacking...not something you really want to do without when you *need* to get that data back

hth
connor

--
Connor McDonald

"Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"