Re: Compare logical standby database with Advanced Replication

From: wangbin <wangbin_at_start.com.au>
Date: 21 Apr 2003 18:13:35 -0700

Hi

Thanks for reply.

>You need not to setup advanced replication between the production
>database and the report one. Just create snapshots in the report
>database that reference tables in the production database.
Is snapshot the same as materialized view? In Oracle9i Advanced Replication doc,it looks like MV is part of Advanced Replication solution.

> 1- the size of the db

None of them have been in production yet. The OLTP one will be less than 40G, and the report db is less than 100G.

> 2- how frequently refreshing the report db
There is a requirement to access alive data, for example 10 minutes old. The report may change based on new requirements. Therefore, we decide to have a separate reports server to prevent performance degradation on the production database.

> 3- the production db load

Again, it is a new production, and hasn't yet been in production. However, the load of our current one is 10G redo per day and 30 transactions per second. I think it is not very busy.

> 4- the two dbs are on the same os

Yes, they are.

As suggested in Phillip's post, I will try to setup logical standby in a test environment first.

Regards,
Bin Received on Mon Apr 21 2003 - 20:13:35 CDT